Re: New work item for XML group ? (Re: Comments on 31 March spec)

From: Murata Makoto <murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 20:19:35 +0900
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Rick Jelliffe writes:

>Summary
>-------
>ISO 10646 BMP is enough for XML characters.

I disagree.  XML should allow every character in ISO 10646.  I believe
that this is the intension of the current draft.   (See the syntax
of character references [58] and [59].)

The two new character code standards of JIS are expected to be widely
used as part of SJIS.  Then, if XML is restricted to the BMP, conversion
from SJIS text to XML leads to loss of information.

Murata, Makoto
Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: 044-812-7230   Fax: 044-812-7231
E-mail: murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp