Query fallback critical

From: Terry Allen <tallen@sonic.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 07:56:54 -0700
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org

It occurs to me that it is important to know whether a server's
response to a TEI pointer query is actually a response to the
query or a default response of sending the entire enclosing
XML instance.

If the instance is Genesis (but I am ignorant of its content)
and I ask for the third Begettor et seq. (please adjust your
WebTV if I can't ask for et seq.), I will get Enos... if the
query was answered, but Adam... if the server fell back and
sent all of Genesis - and I won't know the difference.

Maybe it would be better not to count on queries yet and
accept that the Web can't do better than send the whole
instance, for client-side processing of queries.

Regards,
  Terry Allen    Electronic Publishing Consultant    tallen[at]sonic.net
                   http://www.sonic.net/~tallen/
    Davenport and DocBook:  http://www.ora.com/davenport/index.html
          T.A. at Passage Systems:  terry.allen[at]passage.com