Notation System IDs

From: Christopher R. Maden <crm@eps.inso.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 16:55:56 GMT
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
I mentioned this in my laundry list, but CMSMcQ thought it worth
bringing up separately.

Clause 4.6: I *strongly* feel that MIME types should be allowed for
notation system IDs.  Unless someone can send me a URL for a GIF
processor that will work immediately on any OS.  Change %ExternalID in
production [73] to %NotExtId, which in turn is:
   [73a] NotExtId :: = 'SYSTEM' S (MimeType | SystemLiteral)

In more detail, I've always thought that the identifiers for notations
were a little weird.  In a fixed environment, it's fine to put, say,
"xv" as the system identifier for GIF.  But in a language defined
primarily to enable Internet transfer, this makes NO sense.  URLs are
great because they work (or don't) everywhere on the 'net.  But URLs
for notations point to - what?  A specification of the notation?
That's useful, and good luck finding a URL describing the binary
structure of proprietary formats.  A MIME type, registered or
unregistered, seems much more appropriate for Internet use for

What do other folks think?

Christopher R. Maden                  One Richmond Square
DynaText SIT Technical Support        Providence, RI 02906 USA
Inso Corporation                      +1.401.421.9550 (voice)
Electronic Publishing Solutions       +1.401.521.2030 (facsimile)