Re: Public Identifiers, and CATALOGS

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 12:36:59 -0500 (EST)
To: srn@techno.com (Steven R. Newcomb)
Cc: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
I must admit that I am amazed by the idea of a non-"portable" XML, in the
sense of an XML whose documents would not be equipped so that they could
survive technology change without recoding: such as the "death of URLs" or
the "arrival of URNs."

I use SGML for its portability and durability. An XML without this at
its heart is in my mind severely wounded and will cause the market confusion
that you describe: "It's SGML without the features! It's HTML without the
simplicity!" Thus far the decisions we have made have all preserved this
feature of SGML and I had presumed that it was also central to everyone
else.

 Paul Prescod