Re: The furore over PUBLIC

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 11:47:50 -0500 (EST)
To: gkholman@microstar.com (Ken Holman)
Cc: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
> I gather from draft 961114 that the behaviour of an XML system regarding
> malformed or unresolvable URLs is not specified ... so I figure it is up
> to the implementation.

That is just a relative URL to the document base URL. So its meaning is
well defined. If you put a really bogus system identifier in, then you
have an incorrect XML document, which is probably what you want in
practice, but at least the XML spec does not "condone" such a thing.
I think that if we don't have catalogs then system identifiers should be
required, and I would be surprised if the anti-Catalog team would allow
public identifiers in otherwise.

 Paul Prescod