Re: draft proposal for catalog resolution

From: Martin Bryan <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 10:14:15 +0100
To: Michael Sperberg-McQueen <U35395@UICVM.UIC.EDU>, W3C SGML Working Group <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>
At 08:45 31/3/97 CST, Michael Sperberg-McQueen wrote:

>What do you mean, what's the difference?  When it's implemented, the
>desired thing happens.  When it's ignored, nothing happens.  When the
>desired thing is nothing, you can't tell the difference, and so it
>doesn't make much difference.  Why does telling the difference make any
>difference here?

The problem I have is the one you seem to recognize yourself. If someone
adds a keyword to a catalog because he has facilities for interpreting it,
how can he be sure that someone without those facilities can use it? Is it a
requirement that the addition of keywords to a catalog means that the
catalog can only be used on sites that support that keyword?
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.sgml.u-net.com/