Re: Will XML go beyond SGML Users?

You wrote:

>As I understood it, it was our goal that all browsers should support XML
>just as they do HTML. Since even Internet Explorer cannot open either RTF or
>Word files,

Internet Explorer 3.0 can open any ActiveX enabled control, including Word.
Word (or Excel, or whatever) will then take over the entire client viewing
area, adding its own toolbar, i.e., there is seemless integration within the
original window. It's also worth noting that URLs are now recognized in
non-HTML documents (some mail systems support this feature as well). So Word
users do not need to convert their documents in order to post them to the
Web. Conversely, what user's think of as the browser has been de-coupled
from the formats it reads. An ActiveX control can be created to support any
document markup. So a new markup could be created and popularized, not by
creating a dedicated browser that supports it, but by supplying an ActiveX
control that supports it. XML could be introduced to the market in this way.

Regards,

Ralph E. Ferris
Project Manager, Electronic Publications
Fujitsu Software Corporation