Re: Current Status of Discussion on RE/RS Handling

On Mon, 30 Sep 1996 08:59:53 -0400, gtn@ebt.com (Gavin Nicol) wrote:

>>I explained in an earlier message
>><URL:http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-sgml-wg/msg00243.html>
>>(mainly paragraph 2) why I believe that view to be mistaken.
>
>Right, and I replied to that message earlier. It seems to me that
>this is a matter of subjective opinion.
>
>The concept of "line" is even more poorly defined than "record", and
>in most cases is an application convention.

In SGML, the records (which  is synonymous with your use of "lines") are those
that the author saw when the document was formatted to his screen by his text
editor.  Some editors preserve those record breaks; some don't. SGML makes sure
that the data is the same in both cases by eliminating the REs that were caused
solely by markup.

--
Charles F. Goldfarb * Information Management Consulting * +1(408)867-5553
           13075 Paramount Drive * Saratoga CA 95070 * USA