Re: Make DTDs optional?

At 10:25 AM 9/28/96 -0400, Paul Prescod wrote:
> * Because XML is widely supported (we hope).
> * Because XML is compact (we hope).
> * Because XML will preserve whatever structure exists in the document (and
>Word allows quite a bit).
> * Because XML is more portable, more device-independent and more widely
>supported than Word for Windows format.
> * Because XML is "open" and standardized.
> * Because XML is easy to full-text index.

I don't get it. Which of these doesn't apply to HTML? And why would Jane
Author want to mess with creating a structured doc?

If a bunch of authors create a bunch of documents with a bunch of DTDs
and a bunch of stylesheets then how is that any better than what we
have now? If this were useful, I could just buy a bunch of DynaTags
and automap all of the styles. Yeccch.

confused

Robert Streich				streich@slb.com
Schlumberger				voice: 1 512 331 3318
Austin Research				fax:   1 512 331 3760