Re: Current Status of Discussion on RE/RS Handling

At 08:14 PM 9/27/96 +0000, James Clark wrote:
>If the rules about ignoring white-space are left to the XML application and
>the application is free to require that those rules are not applied for
>verbatim elements, then XML tools built on top of SGML parsers will be
>unable to correctly process some XML documents, namely those that have
>verbatim elements that include REs that are ignored according to the SGML
>rules. (An application could get information from the SGML parser about the
>record-ends it ignored and   attempt to undo the ignoring that was done by
>the SGML parser, but that's not going to be practical in many cases.)  The
>effect would be to prevent most unmodified SGML-based tools from being able
>reliably to process XML documents.
>
>I would say that would be a far worse situation for XML to be in than
>requiring that a user, in verbatim text, simply replace space and newline by
>entity references at the same time as they are replacing <, > and & by
>entity references.

I disagree with this, James. I think the likelihood of someone inserting
markup into a "verbatim" element that would trigger the ignore-this-RE
rule in SGML is very, very small.

With SGML, the intrusion on elements of this type in our data has been
minimal. Even in PCDATA, the need to replace '<' and '&' is rare and
we never have to replace '>'.

But why the mention of spaces? I thought these were left unscathed.

bob

Robert Streich				streich@slb.com
Schlumberger				voice: 1 512 331 3318
Austin Research				fax:   1 512 331 3760