Re: XML and required DTDs

> Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 19:48:19 -0700
> From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>

> Since Michael and I think we are saying the same thing, and Paul is
> a smart guy, but we're not making him happy, Paul is probably correct that
> the problem due to a different set of base assumptions.
>
> Let's see:
>
>  o I believe that a useful XML editor will require access to FULL MARKUP
>    DECLARATION - i.e. the functional equivalent of an SGML Decl & DTD.  This
>    point is open to argument, particularly given that commercial SGML editors
>    will let you edit with validation off, but I still believe it.
>
>  o I expect that XML will come with a well-defined way to provide a
>    Full Markup Declaration.
>
>  o I believe that there are many things you can do with structured
>    text that do not require Full Markup Declaration (search, display,
>    analyze).  We want you to be able to do those things in XML without
>    having a Full Markup Declaration at hand.
>
> I think that's all... does that address (at least part of) your issue, Paul?
>
> Cheers, Tim Bray
> tbray@textuality.com http://www.textuality.com/ +1-604-488-1167

I have no problem with anything you say, Tim, and it addresses a lot of
what I'm thinking.  Except I'm not sure everyone agrees with you that
"a useful XML editor will require access to FULL MARKUP DECLARATION,"
and I'm still left with what might best be called "market positioning"
concerns as I mention in my response to Michael.

paul