Re: short-tag considered unhealthy

At 07:25 PM 12/9/96 +0100, Michael Sperberg-McQueen wrote:
>James's design criterion sounds like a good one.  Empty end-tags and
>unquoted attribute values do indeed fall into the class of things I had
>looked at and said "It's not too hard, let's leave it in", but which are
>also clearly inessential.  Any doubt I had in my mind went away when I
>asked myself "Well, if this feature isn't in XML, will you be forced to
>write a pre-processor for it, to translate your working format into
>XML?"

Just to make it clear to everyone the consequences of what you are saying,
you will be forcing me to enter <OL compact="compact"> rather than <OL
compact>. (Note that <OL "compact"> is invalid SGML!)

Martin Bryan
----
Martin Bryan, The XML Outside, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.u-net.com/~sgml/