Re: Element Structure for XML (Clause 7)

On Wed, 11 Sep 96 16:23:30 CDT, Michael Sperberg-McQueen
<U35395@UICVM.CC.UIC.EDU> wrote:

>Like Paul, I guess I think PIs aren't all that hard to deal with,
>though it might be nice to specify a canonical method of escaping
>PIC within them.
I agree. A character reference would do the job nicely.

>Such a self-assigned keyword system is not, of course, 100% reliable,
>but it's somewhat more reliable than having no such pattern at all.

You can make it 100% reliable by having each PI "type" declared as a notation
(which in fact it is). XML can then require that a PI have the form:

<?notation-name actual-text-of-pi>
--
Charles F. Goldfarb * Information Management Consulting * +1(408)867-5553
           13075 Paramount Drive * Saratoga CA 95070 * USA