Re: C.14 Enumerations in attribute declarations?

At 01:32 PM 10/17/96 CDT, Michael Sperberg-McQueen wrote:
>On 23 October 1996, the ERB will vote to decide the following
>question.  A straw poll indicates the question needs further
>discussion in the work group.  Possible positions are to remove
>8879's restriction (at the cost of more complex XML-to-SGML
>DTD translation), to retain it, to eliminate enumerated values
>entirely in the hope that WG8 will relax the restriction, or
>to retain the restriction but make it a non-reportable error.
>
>C.14 Should XML allow more than one enumerated type (name-group
>declared value) to contain the same possible value (11.3.3)?

I always thought this was a dumb restriction in SGML; I wasn't fond of the
particular bit of minimization it was needed for, either. Let's ditch it
here and see whether WG8 can do likewise.

Jim Mason
Dr. James D. Mason
(ISO/IEC JTC1/SC18/WG8 Convenor)
Lockheed Martin Energy Systems