Re: C.2 prescribed implementation of ENTITY-END signal?

At 1:18 PM 10/17/96, Michael Sperberg-McQueen wrote:
>On 23 October 1996, the ERB will vote to decide the following
>question.  A straw poll indicates the ERB is leaning to leaving this
>question to the implementors.
>
>C.2 should XML prescribe the use of an ENTITY-END character as the
>canonical method of handling entity boundaries, as a way of
>simplifying exposition and implementation (6.2.2)?

I don't see suggestions for kludgey implementations of a feature as easing
either exposition or implementation. If we simply disallow lexing of entity
references between unescaped < and > characters, we can solve all the Ee
problems. An implementation then must be able to resolve entities when an
attribute value is examined. Clean, and I think it's even easy to do with
LEX.

I'd rather not mention the Ee strategy, and certainly would not require it.

http://www.dynamicdiagrams.com/services_map_main.html