Re: B.9 Formal system, public identifiers?

On Sat, 12 Oct 96 15:08:24 CDT, Michael Sperberg-McQueen
<U35395@UICVM.CC.UIC.EDU> wrote:

>On 16 October 1996, the ERB will vote to decide the following question.
>A straw poll indicates the question needs further discussion in the work
>group.
>
>B.9 Should XML require system and public identifiers to be FORMAL
>(13.5)?

Here is a possible solution to the impasse between FSI and URL-only.

The FSI design effectively treats an informal system identifier (i.e., an
ordinary string) as a default storage object specification. The usual default is
OSFILE. For XML, we could let the default be URL. In other words, for a URL you
could enter either:

http://www.exasperated.org

or

<url>http://www.exasperated.org

For other storage managers that XML supports in future versions, the normal FSI
syntax would be used.
--
Charles F. Goldfarb * Information Management Consulting * +1(408)867-5553
           13075 Paramount Drive * Saratoga CA 95070 * USA