Re: B.1 Character-set rules?

On Sat, 12 Oct 96 15:04:59 CDT, Michael Sperberg-McQueen
<U35395@UICVM.CC.UIC.EDU> wrote:

>On 16 October 1996, the ERB will vote to decide the following question.
>A straw poll indicates the question needs further discussion in the work
>group.
>
>B.1 What should XML's character-set rules be?  Should conforming XML
>documents be restricted to particular character sets?  Should conforming
>XML processors be required to be able to parse all conforming XML
>documents (13.1)?

Use Unicode with a single encoding. If we are to keep XML simple, we'll have to
preclude some documents. If we try to handle everything, XML will wind up as
complex as SGML.
--
Charles F. Goldfarb * Information Management Consulting * +1(408)867-5553
           13075 Paramount Drive * Saratoga CA 95070 * USA