Re: B.10 Empty elements?

At 10:22 AM 10/14/96 -0700, Bill Smith wrote:
>Requiring partial DTDs is the first step on the slope to requiring DTDs and
>greatly complicating XML for everyone. How will validating XML parsers
>distinguish between partial DTDs and full DTDs? How will authors know the
>difference?

I don't think full DTDs ever *need* to be required; pretty much all the
"read-only" applications (such as browsers) would do just fine if they
had the tiny subset of information that includes, e.g., EMPTY elements.

You make a really good point about distinguishing partial and full DTDs.
Perhaps a PI such as <?XML partialdtd> is a good way to handle this;
otherwise the DTD would be assumed to be full, and the instance could
generate some errors accordingly if some declarations are missing.

        Eve