Re: A11: element content and mixed content?

David Durand wrote:

> If we drop the distinction, we must treat spaces and tabs as data elements
> in element content (like tables) because without a DTD we can't tell
> whether or not it is element content, and therefore "insignificant". Of
> course, I'd say that we should drop it, and accept the restrictions on
> whitespace, but the current leaning reflects the "code-formatting" needs
> you and others have advocated.

I don't think David is suggesting requiring a DTD. I'm firmly opposed to
requiring a DTD, even a short form, to "properly" handle XML. If we cross the
DTD/DTDless line, I think we will significantly reduce the liklihood that XML
will be adopted. We should drop the distinction.