Re: A7: CDATA, RCDATA, TEMP marked sections?

At 9:44 PM 10/8/96, Charles F. Goldfarb wrote:
>Here's how I would tell users to address these requirements using DTD-less XML:
>
>Chapter 5. The CLEARDATA Tag.
>
>When you need to put scripts or other data in your document that isn't
>SGML, you
>mark it with special tags called CLEARDATA tags (CDATA for short). These tags
>look different from normal tags because they are warning the browser that the
>data is clear -- that is, it doesn't have any SGML markup in it. The browser
>needs to be warned because if it sees, within CDATA, something that looks like
>markup, it has to know it isn't really markup, it's just data.
>
>The CLEARDATA start-tag is: <![CDATA[
>The CLEARDATA end-tag is: ]]>

This points out the problem with this kind of notation. The syntax is
bizarre. And the first question that anyone will ask is "why not have a
'<cleardata>' tag, and only </cleardata> will end it".

  There's no good way to answer that, because it's a workable, simpler
syntax. I tend to agree with PaulP that the DTD-free parsing for verbatim
elements is too hard (and that's why all whitespace must be significant
always, element content or not). The use of entities or backslash-style
quotes seem easier to justify on their own merits. I say lose CDATA.

   -- David

RE delenda est.

http://www.dynamicdiagrams.com/services_map_main.html