Re: A4: XML's use of SHORTTAG?

This is a resend of aposting that went into the void.

To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: A4:  XML's use of SHORTTAG?
Cc: Message-Id: <libSDtMail.9610041613.5651.bsmith@providence>
Content-MD5: w8gPnwlF9Y5yYroFSMh0ZQ==

> The final point, on omitted attribute-value specifications, raises the
> general question of how XML systems will behave when no DTD, or a
> partial DTD, is provided -- if such omitted or partial DTDs are allowed.
> It also raises the question of providing a way for a document to signal
> that its DTD can be skipped without loss of information (e.g. because it
> has no default attribute values, or no empty elements, etc.).  These
> questions are to be discussed and decided separately.

I would argue that we not allow default attributes, etc. in the first version of
XML. Allowing default attribute values demands that we require a DTD or some DTD
subset for all documents that make use of this shorthand notation.
Unfortunately, this places a burden on all XML client developers of parsing and
interpreting DTDs - correctly.

A server-side mechanism can be employed to transform SGML document instances
that employ default attribute values to an XML equivalent. Subsequent versions
of XML could allow default attribute values, etc.