Re: A26: ANY keyword?

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 1996 14:31:22 +0000
To: W3C SGML Working Group <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>
At 06:35 PM 10/3/96 CDT, Michael Sperberg-McQueen wrote:

>A.26 Like SGML, XML will allow elements to be declared ANY (11.2.4).

Upon further consideration, I think I'll vote NO on this one.  I can't
think of a single time I've actually *used* ANY, and can't (in the abstract)
think of situations where it is actually a worthwhile thing to do -
particularly if we decide to lose exclusion exceptions.  Thus, given that
it makes the parser a bit more difficult, and the 80/20 rules we're
supposed to be applying, I can't see why we should put it in XML.

Cheers, Tim Bray
tbray@textuality.com http://www.textuality.com/ +1-604-488-1167