Re: acceptance of XML

From:	OXVAXD::LOU          "Lou Burnard"  3-OCT-1996 13:23:05.54
To:	MX%"cbullard@HiWAAY.net"
CC:	LOU
Subj:	Re: Acceptance of XML

>I don't suggest the user base is unimportant.  The habits of HTML are
>very much the habits of SGML authors in most cases.  So, trying to

most cases of SGML authors or most cases of habit? Either way I vigorously
dissent. HTML habits are for the most part inimical and in opposition to most
habits of anyone worthy the name of "SGML author". HTML focuses attention on
how to render fragmentary pieces of digital data. It actively discourages
attention on how to organize such fragments into higher level structures,
oither than by the tiresome procedure of tying everything together with
explicit links.

As far as XML is concerned, I think the way to sell it is to demonstrate (with
some real software) that (a) you can do everything you can already do with HTML
with XML (b) you can do a whole lot more besides with XML

The way *not* to sell it, is to focus on (a) to the exclusion of (b).

Pardon me for stating the obvious, but I don't think I'm the only one on this
list guilty of that personality disorder.

Lou