Re: Current Status of Discussion on RE/RS Handling

At 07:13 PM 9/30/96 -0900, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
>In following the subsequent discussion, I realized that my response to Bob
>was flawed in that I forgot that white space following end tags and
>preceding start tags is *not* ignored.

It was also my intuition that whitespace should be handled as it
traditionally is in SGML and HTML (especially in "element content" where
superflurous whitespace is very common)

Joe English's rewording of my idea seems to reflect that intuition:

    3. If the only data appearing between two tags is a sequence of
       lexical SEPCHARs (including RS and RE), then it is deemed
       insignificant.

What do you think? This single, simple rule seems to cover the places where
I would want to use whitespace as formatting.

 Paul Prescod