FPI's in NOTATION declarations

Not necessarily a bad example when FPI's are used in the NOTATION
declaration.

One thing to remember is that the FPI registered owner identifier, when
using the ISBN registered owner prefix, is typically manufactured from
the ISBN Publisher's Prefix only, but can be meaningfully manufactured
with a full ISBN.

A full ISBN can be used in an FPI to refer to a concept by pointing to
an instance of publication of that concept. The NOTATION declaration for
TeX could be:

<!NOTATION TeX PUBLIC "+//ISBN 0-201-13448-9::Knuth//NOTATION The
TeXbook//EN">
or
<!NOTATION TeX PUBLIC "+//ISBN 0-201-13447-0::Knuth//NOTATION The
TeXbook//EN">

There are two possible because the first is the paperback and the second
is the hardcover.

In these cases one is not trying to dereference a location, rather, just
trying to dereference a concept or specification.  I don't think that a
SYSTEM identifier with an URL would suffice for this.

This would require XML production [69] ExternalId, which is used in
production [77] NotationDecl, to support 'PUBLIC' as well as the
currently hardwired 'SYSTEM' value (or, of course, add something new to
NotationDecl so that other references to ExternalId in the specification
are not affected).

--
G. Ken Holman            Tel:  +1 613 596-CADE(2233)    /\ /\
Chief Technology Officer Fax:  +1 613 596-5934          \/ \/   Computer

--
G. Ken Holman            Phone:  +1 613 489-2987
P.O. Box 266             Street: 1605 Mardick Court