Request for charset clarification

From: Terry Allen <tallen@fsc.fujitsu.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 16:32:13 -0800 (PST)
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
This is solely a request for clarification; private responses
are fine.

What does [2] Character include that [3] BaseChar excludes?
Or, what is a short description in plain language of BaseChar?
Am I right in imagining that unassigned code points are
excluded from BaseChar?  What is a correct SGML declaration
for XML?

Repeat:  this is solely a request for clarification; private

Regards,
    Terry Allen    Fujitsu Software Corp.    tallen@fsc.fujitsu.com
"In going on with these experiments, how many pretty systems do we build,
 which we soon find outselves obliged to destroy?" - Benjamin Franklin
  A Davenport Group Sponsor:  http://www.ora.com/davenport/index.html