Re: CSS vs. DSSSL-O

From: Len Bullard <cbullard@HiWAAY.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 09:37:20 -0600
To: Jon Bosak <bosak@atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM>
CC: papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca, tbray@textuality.com, w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Jon Bosak wrote:

> Personally, I think that the only strategy that makes sense here is
> the full frontal attack: enable dsssl-o processing through plug-ins or
> applets and insist that real XML browsers are browsers with dsssl-o
> capabilities.

DSSSL is powerful.  JADE is a good thing to have.  Why would
XML of necessity, (meaning, a requirement for conformance)
require DSSSL?  If simplicity is a goal, there are simpler ways
to create stylesheets than DSSSL.  Remember, I am not arguing
against DSSSL or it's power, but I am asking why a "RealXML browser"
must
use it.  That sounds like the sort of legal beagle trick that
forces a system solution rather than enabling the vendor
and the market to choose.  The result will be to isolate
XML, or tools, or certain vendors.  Isolation leads to
war quicker than a free trade zone.

DSSSL must sell itself.  If there is a compelling need and
only one *obvious* solution, why is that a problem?  The
Technical Corrigendum and alignment made it possible to
develop systems that can use the SGML standards family without
conflicts, but it doesn't force that.  XML is in a much
weaker position to attempt to force that.

Anyway, aren't hyperlinks the next scheduled task?

len bullard