"." as CSS Class Selector Shortcut char

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 11:40:12 -0500
To: Arjun Ray <aray@nmds.com>, "Chris Wilson (PSD)" <cwilso@microsoft.com>, "'Paul Prescod'" <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>, "'w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org'" <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>
At 01:45 AM 11/16/96 -0500, Arjun Ray wrote:
>At 10:39 AM 11/15/96 -0800, Chris Wilson (PSD) wrote:
>>It's not actually lost; any character can be escaped in a CSS selector
>>name.  According to section 7.2 of the CSS PR,
>>Does this suffice to address your concerns?
>
>No. It would be much simpler all around for interoperability if CSS1 abided
>by the naming conventions of the Reference Concrete Syntax. In fact, insofar
>as CSS1 has some (integral?) relation with HTML, I see no reason why it
>shouldn't square with naming conventions legal in HTML.

Perhaps CSS could choose from:

_~`!@"$%^&*;:'<>/?, etc.

Really, the only "funny characters" allowed within names in HTML or SGML RCS
DTDs are ".-". SGML is really not being unreasonable on this point.

 Paul Prescod
---
Boycott Shell Oil worldwide!  http://www.web.apc.org/embargo/shell.htm

"Shell is here on trial and it is as well that it is represented by counsel
said to be holding a watching brief."..."The ecological war that the Company
has waged in the Delta will be called to question sooner than later." -Ken
Saro-Wiwa to the tribunal that later executed him.
http://www.goldmanprize.org/goldman/ken.html