Re: overriding...

At 11:44 PM 11/12/96, lee@sq.com wrote:
><!ENTITY Chris PUBLIC "-//EBT//NONSGML Christopher R. Maden//EN" SYSTEM>
>&Chris; wrote:
>The only reason I could see for not allowing the entity overrides is
>that it requires DTD parsing
Yep.

>This is true for any entities at all except the default ones.
>So this would be an argument for not allowing entities other than
>those in a defult set.
Or: ...

>Also, note that entities can be declared in the subset even if nothing
>else is -- e.g.
><!DOCTYPE IRISH-HISTORY SYSTEM "irish history.dtd" [
>    <!Entity papist "Roman Catholic">
>    <!Entity prod "Protestant">
>]>
We could require that any entities that override the default set be placed
in the document subset. This would enable DTD-less parsing even if you
override the predefined entities, and would make it easy for users to pick
the names that they want. We can fix at least the hardwired entity-name
problem without much work...

   This is a _strong_ plea that we do so. I was the first to push for all
HTML entities as predefined defaults, but _forcing_ authors to use them is
_not_ cool.

  -- David

RE delenda est.