Re: Comments: through clause 3

From: Christopher R. Maden <crm@ebt.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 03:57:38 GMT
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
[Lee Quin]
> [Chris Maden]
> > Clause 3.5 in 0.01/W3C (now missing):
> >
> > Carried from 0.01.  The DTD summary is no longer needed for empty
> > elements, and is moot for mixed vs. element content distinction,
> > but would be a VERY useful way to override the defaulted entities
> > without requiring DTD parsing.
>
> You can't override the default entities (believe it or not -- it's a
> design bug).  Apart from that nonsense, it would be better to allow
> entity declarations in a document type subset, perhaps?

The only reason I could see for not allowing the entity overrides is
that it requires DTD parsing, and so a DTDless parse would come up
different from a DTD parse, and that's bad.  But if there's a way to
tell DTDless systems which entities have been overridden, even without
the actual definitions, then it's not such a problem.

-Chris
--
<!NOTATION SGML.Geek PUBLIC "-//GCA//NOTATION SGML Geek//EN">
<!ENTITY crism PUBLIC "-//EBT//NONSGML Christopher R. Maden//EN" SYSTEM