Re: XML, HTML, SGML, life, the universe, and everything

From: Len Bullard <cbullard@HiWAAY.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 17:44:21 -0600
To: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@isogen.com>
CC: W3C-SGML-WG@w3.org
W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

> I think what needs to be done is to define a grove plan for XML.  Given
> such a grove plan, it is then meaningful to say something like "using the
> XML grove plan, an XML document parsed by an SGML parser shall produce a
> grove identical to the grove produced by an XML grove construction process
> using the same grove plan."

[snip]

> This would certainly provide a more precise definition than "ESIS".

This is emminently sensible.  Accepting the grove concept would
certainly
make the other pieces we need to consider easier to specify as well.
ESIS
has been a weakly defined concept for some time and has not given us the
required precision in many cases.  That is why we have heard the term
"beyondESIS" or "superESIS" too often.  I think this also establishes
a precedent that will serve the W3C members well in other applications
and language work if adopted.

What are the objections?

len