Re: XML, HTML, SGML, life, the universe, and everything

From: Len Bullard <cbullard@HiWAAY.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 17:44:21 -0600
To: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@isogen.com>
CC: W3C-SGML-WG@w3.org
W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
> I think what needs to be done is to define a grove plan for XML.  Given
> such a grove plan, it is then meaningful to say something like "using the
> XML grove plan, an XML document parsed by an SGML parser shall produce a
> grove identical to the grove produced by an XML grove construction process
> using the same grove plan."

> This would certainly provide a more precise definition than "ESIS".

This is emminently sensible.  Accepting the grove concept would
make the other pieces we need to consider easier to specify as well.
has been a weakly defined concept for some time and has not given us the
required precision in many cases.  That is why we have heard the term
"beyondESIS" or "superESIS" too often.  I think this also establishes
a precedent that will serve the W3C members well in other applications
and language work if adopted.

What are the objections?