Re: (Repeat) Decision: C.4 (Predefined entities)

From: Paul Grosso <paul@arbortext.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 96 12:23:55 CST
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
> From: bosak@atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM (Jon Bosak)
>
> (a) XML will declare a number of entities automatically.
>
> (e) The predefined entities shall include all the entities recently
> approved by the HTML ERB for inclusion in the "Cougar" DTD.  This
> means, basically, all of the HTML 3.2 entities plus all of the ISO
> entities for which characters exist in the Adobe Symbol font set,
> which is supported across Windows, X11, and Macintosh platforms.
>
> Decision: Yes.  Dissenting: Bray, Clark.  Abstaining: Maler.
>
> Thus, the list of ISO entities predefined in XML is as follows (list
> courtesy of Bob Stayton, SCO):
>
> [...list elided...]

I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to start a "but what about
my favorite entity" sort of discussion, and I'll be okay with any
decision, but by way of an FYI, here are by far the 4 most used entity
refs in your average Adept text document (not counting &lt; and &amp;
for escaping purposes as already covered in XML by earlier decisions):

	&ldquo;, &rdquo; (left double quote and right double quote)
		since Adept automatically puts in your standard (as
		far as publishing goes) directional double quotes
		when the user hits the " key.  These two entity refs
		appear in practically every document created by Adept.

	&mdash;, &ndash; since Adept automatically puts in your
		standard (as far as publishing goes) appropriate
		dash type when the user hits the - key twice or when
		they hit the - key between two digits.

The quotes are in "ISO 8879:1986//ENTITIES Numeric and Special Graphic//EN"
and the dashes in "ISO 8879:1986//ENTITIES Publishing//EN".  I note that
none of these four are in the set Jon distributed.