Re: Recent ERB votes

At 12:30 PM 11/6/96 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
>In a recent series of mail votes and meetings, the ERB has resolved
>several XML design issues.  Under pressure of time, we moved very rapidly
>and votes may not have been fully and exactly recorded where the sense
>of the ERB on some issue became quickly obvious.  It is possible that
>ERB members may wish to correct their reported votes.  As always,
>accompanying rationales, where present, have not been reviewed by the ERB
>**********
>A.22 XML will have no CONREF attributes (11.3.3, 7.3, 7.9.4.4).
>
>Passed (no CONREF), Kimber and Maler dissenting

I just realized that my vote said "no", which I intended to mean "no
conref", not "no, we will have conref".  Oops.  Not that it affected the
outcome.  But I didn't want people to think I'm so tied to the essoterica
of SGML that I'd vote to keep one of features that precludes
declaration-less parsing.

One possible solution that might be worth proposing for SGML97 is a new
attribute specification syntax for conref attributes so that elements with
conref attributes are self describing as for XML empty elements.

Cheers,

E.
--
W. Eliot Kimber (eliot@isogen.com)
Senior SGML Consulting Engineer, Highland Consulting