Re: More proposals -- and some critical implementation issues

From: W. Eliot Kimber <eliot@isogen.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 12:33:02 -0900
To: dgd@cs.bu.edu (David G. Durand), w3c-sgml-wg@www10.w3.org
At 01:31 PM 12/30/96 -0500, David G. Durand wrote:
>At 10:16 AM 12/30/96, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
>>At 11:34 AM 12/30/96 -0500, David G. Durand wrote:

>What I don't understand is how we specify navigation behavior in DSSSL. Is
>there a way to attach new "methods" to elements? Functional properties or
>lexical closures maybe? If so, we have a great hook...

Remember that DSSSL only defines the creation of flow objects--a second
process then interprets the flow objects into a final presentation.  It's
the methods associated with the flow objects that would determine behavior.

DSSSL provides the Link flow object class:

Link Flow Object Class

A link flow object represents a hypertext link that can be interactively
traversed, typically by clicking on the areas representing the flow object
and its content. A link has a single principal port, which can contain both
inlined and displayed flow objects. Link flow objects can be nested, and
the innermost link is effective. It has the following characteristic:

destination: is either #f or an object of type address or a list of one or
more objects of type address. See . This characteristic is not inherited
and shall be specified. A value of #f is used for a nested link and
indicates that the contents of the flow object shall not be considered part
of the containing link.

Cheers,

E.

--
W. Eliot Kimber (eliot@isogen.com)
Senior SGML Consulting Engineer, Highland Consulting