Re: Anchors Aweigh

From: len bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 10:27:16 -0600
To: Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
CC: w3c-sgml-wg@www10.w3.org
Gavin Nicol wrote:

> If we go with the link-as-data model (late semantic binding), what we
> *really* need to define here is

o  what comprises a grove,

Already done.  *The* XML grove, no.  Is there such a thing, or is a
grove for XML plus a grove and or grove plan for each XML application
needed?

o the primitives used to locate objects within it, traverse it, and
transform it,

Primitives?  Need to clarify.  Functions?

o a way of grouping/ordering the primitives

collections?  sets?  lists?

o a way of manipulating/interacting with the result of such primtives (
  or a group of them), and a way of binding primtives to nodes in a
grove.

Functions again?

> Interestingly enough, most of this has already been done elsewhere...

As you say, and as I say to Tim, "most of us can imagine this and
already have" in our existing systems, but not here yet.

Proposals are needed.  To get the credibility needed for acceptance,
not only the spec, but appendices on implementation and/or working
code will be needed.

len