Re: Anchors Aweigh

From: Martin Bryan <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1996 12:21:37 +0000
To: gtn@ebt.com (Gavin Nicol)
Cc: w3c-sgml-wg@www10.w3.org
At 22:04 27/12/96 -0500, Gavin Nicol wrote:
>>In any case we should not conflate the presentation and interaction
>>aspects of  linking with the declarative, and "semantic relationship"
>>aspect of linking.
>Absolutely. I would prefer us to define a set of data which comprises
>a link, and leave interpretation to the application.

I second this. For stage one we need to learn how to identify what it is we
need to link to and how to manage link definitions in a way that will
preserve them over time. (This latter will be the killer part of a good
linking mechanism.) Only when we have mastered this part of the problem
should we consider how to 'standardize' the behaviour of links.
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.u-net.com/~sgml/