Re: Mixed vs. element content (Was Re: RS/RE, again (sorry))

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 23:38:39 -0500
To: papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca
CC: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
>>I wonder how HyTime can break when used with XML when there is no
>>current practise in the field? Same for DSSSL, or whatever other
>>processor you have.
>
>Since XML is SGML (theoretically) we do have current practise.

If you can define "SGML", I might agree with you. Fact is, that SGML
is a large number of incompatible languages anyway.

If you can define "SGML", then please look to see if XML is "SGML" as
you define it.

>SGML systems can be updated. It is better that they be updated to support
>optional SGML features than proprietary W3C-XML features.

The point is that we are only using SGML features...

>>Why can't you have the preprocessor perform whitespace normalisation
>as well?
>
>Because SGML has the whitespace handling behaviour that we want (other than
>RS/RE).

Really? Even in the face of *all* the tricks one could pull with an
SGML declaration?