Re: Trying to sum up a bit

At 01:55 PM 12/17/96 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
>At 03:07 PM 12/17/96 CST, Paul Grosso wrote:
>>> 3. All non-markup bytes are signicant, whitespace or not (Durand)
>> Pro: Everyone can understand the rules, it's easy to implement
>> Con: You lose certain Hytime addressing facilities, and the application
>>      gets no help from the XML processor in ignoring WS that to the user
??      is "obviously" irrelevant.

>>Does this mean that SGML tools will necessarily lose XML-significant
>>whitespace when reading XML, or did we come up with an SGML trick
>>to avoid this?
>
>Yes, there is the technique Charles thought up.  But WG8 may choose to
>recognize this as a behavior that it would be well to bless in a TC,
>eliminating the need.

Huh? I thought that Charles' trick was a way of mapping RS/RE to SEPCHAR,
not of handling whitespace in element content. Now I'm totally confused. Are
you saying that proposal 3 is that we should map all of the characters out
of the set of SEPCHARs? How does this break HyTime then?

Or is proposal 3 "when parsing without a DTD treat all whitespace as
significant" and live with the fact that the parse tree is SGML
incompatible. That doesn't break HyTime, but it throws away any kind of
whitespace pretty printing.

 Paul Prescod