Re: Trying to sum up a bit

At 04:04 PM 12/17/96 -0500, Paul Prescod wrote:
>Do we have anything to move forward *on*? Isn't the WG going to give us some
>starting document or starting point for hyperlinking discussion? Or just
>jump right in?

The ERB has been largely tied up with (1) WG8 liaison to try to patch up
some of our "for compaitibility" blemishes, (2) PUBLIC identifiers, and
(3) RS/RE.  I think we can now put these to bed; we will kick-start the
hypertext discussion the same way we did base-XML, with a list of
design goals, and a bunch of debating points.

>What does an -XML-PRESERVE element do when applied to element content? Give
>a different parse tree for DTD-less parsers? Trigger an error in validating
>parsers? Both? Neither?

An error for validating parsers, I'd say.  Good point.

>Isn't significant whitespace the norm rather than the exception? Shouldn't
>it be the default?

A religious issue.  For web-heads, COLLAPSE is clearly the norm.  But
there should be a default.

>> 4.3a1. the XML processor does what -XML-SPACE says...
>> 4.3a2. the XML processor does what -XML-SPACE says *and* passes it on ...
>> 4.3a3. the XML processor merely passes -XML-SPACE along to the application..

>Why not just let the parser do it, if it knows what needs to be done?

1. Most apps do it anyhow.  2. Less is more.  3. If you leave stuff in, the
application can always take it out.  But if you take it out, the app
can never recreate the knowledge of where it was. - Tim