Re: simplifying comments in SGML '97

From: Paul Grosso <paul@arbortext.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 96 13:12:22 CST
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
> From: dgd@cs.bu.edu (David Durand)
>
>    I will remind people that the argument for changing comments is not
> simply that "ASCII em-dash" is a useful punctuation mark -- though that
> is certainly true -- but that the restriction has no justification in
> terms of XML. The only good thing about the current definition is that
> I expect most XML implementors won't care about SGML compatibility and
> will skip implementing this "feature", or at least make it optional. . .

Hello!  I expect most XML implementors *are* the SGML vendors.  Look
at this working group and ERB.

I do not believe you do anyone a service by making "we/they" sorts
of comments about XML/SGML.

paul

Paul Grosso
VP Research, ArborText, Inc. and Chief Technical Officer, SGML Open

Email: paul@arbortext.com