Re: RS/RE, again (sorry)

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 23:29:13 -0500
To: papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca
CC: lee@sq.com, w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org, tbray@textuality.com
>In element content, all white space (S) is ignored; validating XML
>processors must not pass it to the application. Non-validating processors
>which do not read the DTD must treat all elements as if they were declared
>with mixed content; this will in some cases result in a different parse tree
>from that produced by processors which do read the DTD."

I am trying to distinguish between *parser* proper, and validator. A
validation processor does not need to be *in* the parser proper, but
instead can work on the output from it.

This would lead to a model in which all *parsers* would return the
same results, making it easier to validate/prove that the parsers are
correct.