RE: ERB discussion of public identifiers

>----------

Personally, (a) would satisfy me.

To mitigate implementers' concerns about how complex "Socat support"
might be, the straw-man proposal posted 1996-12-02 describes (I hope) a
syntax compatible with the complete SGML Open Catalog definition, with
only the single keyword "PUBLIC" supported.  This would allow
implementers to work with a supplied Socat without modification,
ignoring any specification of function other than the basic PUBLIC
indirection.  Implementers could then choose to support more than the
basic functionality at their leisure ... there would be no fear of
complexity that might be there if XML just "pointed" to the Socat spec.

--
G. Ken Holman               Tel:  +1 613 596-2233
Chief Technology Officer    Fax:  +1 613 596-5934