Re: MIME type for XML

From: <lee@sq.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 96 20:34:54 EST
To: murray@spyglass.com, tallen@fsc.fujitsu.com
Cc: crm@ebt.com, w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
> What needs changing is the definition of MIME 'text/*' from 646 to 10646,

Note that MIME has to be backwards compatible with RFC822 by default,
and with existing mail and netnews gateways -- it isn't only used for
HTTP, of course...

Other applications get round this by using a MIME Charset: header, I think.

But I'm not sure how to get an existing or nearly-existing httpd server
to add Charset lines wiothout hacking it, unless you put the MIME
headers in the file and use .asis processing (where supported).

Lee