Re: Straw-man XML Support for PUBLIC Identifiers and XML Catalogs

From: Jon Bosak <bosak@atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 08:41:19 -0800
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
CC: bosak@atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM
[Martin Bryan:]

| >The system identifier is a URL,...
| >
| >4.3.1 XML Catalog Specification
|
| You might want an extra paragraph between these two (or just before them)
| that reads.
|
| "The public identifier could be a formal public identifier that conforms to
| the rules of ISO/IEC 9070:1987."

I'm not sure that you want 9070 to be the normative text here.  We
looked into this recently and came to the conclusion that we would
rather stick with the 8879 description of FPIs because it allows the
(soon-to-be-standard) three-letter language codes, while 9070 (at
least on last reading) appears to prohibit them.

Jon