Re: Client-side-resolved Indirection

From: Deborah A. Lapeyre <dlapeyre@mulberrytech.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 09:54:47 -0800 (PST)
To: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
cc: Ken Holman <gkholman@microstar.com>, "'w3c-sgml'" <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>

> Could you clarify here? Do you and Debbie want a simple established
> mechanism for name resolution, or just the option to put in the public
> identifier (which is what I have been pushing for).

XML should not (as SGML did not) establish a resolution mechanism.  I
just want the ability to assign an unchanging identifier (not a location)
to a document.  (Also a DTD , DTD fragment, etc. -- but that can wait.)
Does the document also need a URL?  OF course, if it is going over the Web.
But I agree with Paul.  Can't the folks who can't handle a PUBLIC
identifier just ignore it?

As many others have mentioned, my document may have many URLs, but It
will have only one PUBLIC name.  What use I make of that is my
application's business.

Yes?  NO?

--Debbie Lapeyre