Re: About objections

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 16:27:59 +0000
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>, Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, RDF core WG <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

Dan Connolly wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 10:20, Graham Klyne wrote:
>>[Switching to RDFcore, trimming cc's]
>>>Odd; I don't understand the difference.
>>>It seems clear to me that the WG did *not* reach consensus on
>>>this issue. That seems to merit special notice.
>>>I have never understood it that way. When the chair calls the
>>>question, you either agree, abstain, or object. And if you
>>>object, you object. That's all there is to it.
>>For what it's worth, I do see a difference between:
>>(a) believing that a certain decision is not the best decision that could
>>be made (grounds for a vote against in a WG meeting), and
> To me, that's grounds to abstain, not to object.
>>(b) believing that a decision is sufficiently harmful that it merits a
>>formal objection on the record.
>>At least, that is how I have thought about these matters.  There are
>>several decisions we made that I don't think were the best possible, but
>>not so seriously flawed that I felt compelled to register a formal
>>objection.  Consensus involves some compromise.

My reading of the process document concurs with Graham not Dan ...

[[Reviewers MAY register a formal objection any time they are dissatisfied
with how a Working Group has handled an issue.]]

with formal objection linked to

with text which clearly suggests that a formal objection is a document of
some sort (e.g. an e-mail).

defines consensus has including the absence of objections - and it is not
clear whether this is or is not intended to mean formal objections.

I act on the assumption that voting against=objection
and these !=formal objection