Re: RDF Core test driven development and QA Test Doc

Lofton Henderson wrote:

> I know Karl has proposed (previous message in this thread) that the
> test-driven development of OWL specifications means, by definition, that
> you pass the checkpoint we're talking about.
>
> Without addressing at that view, I'd like to look at this from a
> different angle, starting with a clarification.  Again, these are my own
> views, as the QAWG has not yet taken up the question(s) you raise.  (But
> will do so in a near-future telecon.)
>
> At 09:07 PM 1/6/04 +0000, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> Test GL:
>>
>> This checkpoint defines method - the testing approach is determined as
>> a result of analysing the specification.
>> That might not be what the QAWG intends but that is what the current
>> WD and editors draft both say.
>

> We have been trying to move away from defining the method or process,
> which was prevalent in the earliest drafts.  Instead, we are trying to
> state the requirements in terms of testable characteristics of the test
> suite (TS).
>
> Note that the normative content of CP1.3 is not in the statement quoted
> above, but rather it is contained in the Conformance Requirements section:
>
>     "The scope, goal, and purpose of the test suite as a whole, and
>     where appropriate of each logical 'partition' of the test suite, and
>     the mapping between such partitions and sections of the
> specification, must be identified and documented"
>
> [Note.  This WG-only draft is raw, and "must" should be read as "MUST"
> -- i.e., that's a normative must above.]

That's much better - I still disagree with it :), but that seems more a
matter of opinion.

I would not object to such text. (I might have misunderstood the editor's
draft division between normative and informative)

> So we've improved the ConfReqs -- the only normative part of the
> checkpoint -- so they can now be read as testable conditions on a
> conforming conformance test suite.  [We should continue to align the
> CPs' statements, so they don't misleadingly suggest "process", and we
> should fiddle with the wording of the Rationale, for same reason.]
>
> You then said...
>
>> (So while the checkpoint above could be written more declaratively e.g.
>> "There should be a systematic relationship between the organization of
>> the test suite and the sections of the specification", this would
>> still have been a problem for RDF Core, in my view. Such a change,
>> while an improvement, does not go far enough to get my support).
>

> This is getting close to the ConfReqs for CP1.3, which are the normative
> parts of the checkpoint.  Except notice that CP1.3 ConfReqs only
> requires that the relationship be documented, whatever it is, whereas
> your proposed rewording seems to require a systematic relationship.
> (Since you said, "still a problem", I'm assuming that you're thinking
> that we intend to require that the structures be parallel, isomorphic,
> or something like that.  IMO, CP1.3 does not require that, but
> encourages its consideration by requiring documentation.)
>
> IMO, for the OWL TS to pass CP1.3 would be trivial, if indeed it doesn't
> already pass (as Karl claims) -- it would be a small addition (not even
> necessarily Normative), to the OWL TS document.  Maybe it's even already
> there?  (I read the document, but don't remember all the details).

I agree it would have been low cost for both SW WGs to have conformed with
that text, as long as 'partition' is understood as high-level partition
rather than low-level. (I think that's the intent - later text seems to go
for the detailed relationship between tests and test assertions).

In fact "each *high-level* logical 'partition'" might be appropriate text,
with informative examples of high-level.

I look forward to the next WD of the test work.

Jeremy