Re: normativity in the RDF document suite

   My general understanding is that there is a difference between a
document being normative itself (for what it talks about) and being a
normative reference for what some other document talks about.  In this
case, my understanding is that Vocabulary is normative in defining the
RDF Vocabulary Description Language (and hence the boilerplate is OK),
and that the decision about removing Vocabulary from the normative
references in Concepts was because Vocabulary is not normative in
helping to define the RDF Concepts and Abstract Syntax (vanilla RDF is
defined without Vocabulary, which just defines a specific ...
vocabulary), not because Vocabulary isn't itself a normative document.
(BTW:  what order are the references in Concepts supposed to be in?
It's certainly not alphabetical).

That, at least, was the general idea behind the way I divided up the
references in the Primer;  but the notion of "normative reference" in
the Primer could be considered somewhat questionable I suppose, since
the Primer isn't normative itself.  Anyway, I recall raising this point
before (and I agree that this whole business could be confusing).

Bottom line:  my opinion is that the boilerplate should be changed only
for the Primer, and there should be no normative references to the
Primer.  Vocabulary should remain normative, even though there may be
informational references to it.

A couple of further points on this "normative" business:

1.  Section 7.2 of the Primer, in describing Test Cases, says

"The test cases are not a complete specification of RDF, and are not
intended to take precedence over the normative specification documents."

On thinking about this discussion, I suppose someone could read this as
saying that Test Cases is *not* normative.  If that's a concern, simply
changing this to:

"The test cases are not a complete specification of RDF, and are not
intended to take precedence over the *other* specification documents."

would be a simple fix.

2.  If the WG decides to make the Primer normative, there's a paragraph
in Section 1 that talks about how the Primer is *not* normative that
would have to be removed.  There would also have to be some text saying
that in case of disagreement between what the Primer says and what any
of the other documents say, believe the other documents.

--Frank