Fwd: Re: comments on 26 September version of RDF Semantics document

There is a version (dated 29 Sept.) with the changes described below at

http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/RDF_Semantics_LC2.1.html

It also has glossary entries for consistent and decideable, with
brief comments.

I tend to agree with Peter about the rules being normative,
particularly as I couldn't find a formal record of that decision
either (the best I could do was to link to the IRC log). The only
coherent interpretation I can assign to this, on reflection, would be
that any other inference engine which worked in some other way would
not be conformant, even if it was complete and correct: which is
silly.  Maybe y'all could just advise me to make section 7
informative rather than normative? I'd suggest that we do that before
LC2, in any case.

Pat

>Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:17:07 -0500
>To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
>From: pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
>Cc: www-rdf-comments@w3.org
>Subject: Re: comments on 26 September version of RDF Semantics document
>Sender: www-rdf-comments-request@w3.org
>

>>	Comments on RDF Semantics (version dated 26 September 2003)
>>

>>I did a quick read of the most of RDF Semantics, along with a careful
>>investigation of a couple pieces.
>
>Thanks.
>
>>  Here are my comments.
>>
>>1/ The major new issue I have with the document is the unsupported change
>>of the entailment rules from informative to normative.
>
>Just for the record, that change happened a few versions ago; but
>your comment is noted.
>

>>2/ The removal of the translation to LBase is a major improvement.  I would
>>have prefered different wording in Section 0.1 concerning this translation
>>but can live with the new situation.
>>
>>3/ The document is of several minds with respect to just what the semantics
>>of RDF (and RDFS) is.  There is wording in Section 1.3 to the effect that
>>the definition of the semantics of RDF and RDFS excludes the entailment
>>rules.  How can this coexist with having the entailment rules be normative?
>
>Well, the rules are not part of the semantics as such. The issue of
>their normativeness (normativity? normitude?) seems to be orthogonal
>to this point. The Abstract of the document begins
>
>"This is a specification of a precise semantics, and corresponding
>complete systems of inference rules, for...."
>
>clearly indicating that the semantics is one thing, and the rules
>another, a division reflected in the organization of the document.
>
>(??Maybe I havnt followed your point here??)
>

>>4/ The figures in the copy of the document that I reviewed have naming
>>problems, but I am told that these have since been fixed.
>
>They may not have been fixed to your satisfaction. The changes were
>largely graphical (color, font rendering) rather than textual. We
>have discussed the issue of the wording in figure 1, and I responded
>in an earlier message.
>

>>5/ The Monotonicity and Compactness Lemmas are only stated for simple
>>entailment.  However, readers could easily be left with the impression that
>>the other forms of entailment could also have the desirable properties that
>>accrue from these lemmas.
>
>The text states explicitly:
>
>"These results apply only to simple entailment, not to the extended
>notions of entailment introduced in later sections."
>
>reiterated after the statement of the anonymity lemma:
>
>"Note again that this applies only to simple entailment, not to the
>vocabulary entailment relationships defined in rest of the
>document.".
>
>Later, when RDF-entailment is introduced (section 3.1, second
>paragraph) the document repeats the warning, with a back-link and an
>illustrative example.:

> [...]

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell