RE: I18N Issue alternative: collapsing plain and xml literals

From: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:06:19 +0300
To: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>, <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: <gk@ninebynine.org>, <danbri@w3.org>, <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>, <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>

My stab at defining the merged plain+XML literal would be:

Lexical Space:

   Same as now defined for rdf:XMLLiteral.
   I.e. canonical XML, with comments, etc. etc.

Value Space:

   Same as now defined for rdf:XMLLiteral.
   I.e. XML "things" corresponding to sequences of
   characters and (optionally) markup which correlate
   to Infosets and are compared for equality based on their
   lexical forms.

Graph representation:

   Lexical form + optional lang tag.
   I.e. "LLL" or "LLL"@xx

RDF/XML expression:

   Two options:

   As plain string, in attribute value or element content,
   (without rdf:datatype) converted to escaped, canonical
   XML when mapped to graph.

   As XML fragment, in element content with parseType="Literal",
   (without rdf:datatype) canonical XML when mapped to the graph.

   For either, a lang tag is derived from any non-null
   xml:lang scope.

Patrick